"In the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Room...in the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Room...."




Monday, March 1, 2010

Celebrations at Disney - Birthdays....Anniversaries.... & Grand Gatherings

One of my most memorable trips ever to WDW was taken to celebrate my 40th birthday....... 

I never made a big deal about my own birthday....my family didn't either.  My birthday falls in July...so it was usually just a swim/hangout type of day and we'd either grill or order out and just relax and do the small quiet family thing.  BUT....when I was turning 40 a few years ago *I won't say how many years ago*  I wanted a big sha- bang....and nobody could plan what I wanted like I could LOL- since I AM the Disney planner in this family.  So......I booked us a room at the Grand Floridian in the Royal Palm Club (main building concierge) for a week, booked  my birthday dinner at Narcoossee's, the Grand 1 yacht for a Wishes Cruise directly after dinner .....and ordered myself a gorgeous birthday cake & champagne to enjoy on the yacht.  I felt a bit cheesy and self centered doing all this for myself but hey...it was the best birthday I ever had!!!

When it was all said and done I was glad I did it for myself.   It was a once in a lifetime splurge on ME and the kids got a big kick out of the whole thing, too.   Now my husband will be turning 50 next year....and we are thinking along the lines of an Adventures by Disney trip to England and France.  He was born in England and lived there until he was 9 and has some childhood memories of the place and wants to return and see what it is really like - and if his memories hold true.


Currently Disney has a whole marketing campaign about WHAT WILL YOU CELEBRATE - we all have something special we can "use" the Disney vacation for. :)  Graduations, anniversaries, birthdays, reunions, you name it...you can figure out a unique way celebrate it one way or another in the midst of the magic in WDW or Disneyland.

To begin with, let your Disney planner know that you will be celebrating during your trip and this information can be noted on your room and dining reservations.  Many times you may be surprised with a little extra magic but that extra is not always guaranteed.   If you want to ensure something special comes your way, the Disney Florist does beautiful gift baskets and floral arrangements for any and all occasions in all price ranges.  Here is a picture of one of their in-room celebration packages....

Once you arrive, you can pick up free celebration buttons at any of the guest service locations in the parks and resorts.  This is just a sample of what I've seen available.....



Cakes can be ordered ahead of time to be delivered to various restaurants in the parks and resorts or spontaneously at the podium of restaurants.  

There is a "Cake Hotline" for guests requesting celebratory cakes at most table service dining locations.
The Cake Hotline number is 407-827-2253 and requires 48 hours notice.  



Here is specific cake ordering info...sizes and prices... Cake Information

Disney restaurants now also have special little pirate celebration packages that can be ordered





Grand Gathering Information  - A "Grand Gathering" consists of a group of 8 or more guests - ages 3 and up - staying at a WDW Resort Hotel.  There are many special activity options for Grand Gatherings.

Specialty cruises are a fantastic way to spend an hour or more during the evenings.  You can book a birthday cruise on a pontoon boat...the boat will be festively decorated with balloons & you'll enjoy snacks and drinks aboard.....or you can book the Breathless for Illuminations viewing....or the spectacular Grand 1 yacht for a Wishes cruise.  There are endless possibilities to enhance these exciting options.

Here are a few miscellaneous pics of cakes and more from our past Disney "celebrations".....we have three birthdays the first week of July and often planned family trips to coincide with these.....what a great excuse for a vacation....


This picture of me was at the Grand Floridian Cafe...my daughter announced that it was my birthday....and they brought me the cupcake, sang, and announced to all the reason 
and my AGE!!!!!

 

A Polynesian Birthday......and then a special dose of unexpected magic compliments of the Grand Floridian, a special surprise birthday creme brulle at Citricos, a cake ordered from the Grand Floridian bakery, a plate of truffles and 
chocolate tuxedo strawberries, and more.......

 
 
Even hotels participate in the fun...in 2008 the Grand Floridian celebrated it's 20th anniversary. 


The Crystal Palace pixie dusts the tables and brings the birthday kid a card signed by Pooh and friends.....







Oh...this was a fun one....the musicians saw the birthday button and serenaded my daughter - to her embarrassment.... You see the importance of the buttons?! LOL

At some of the signature restaurants - if they have advance notice of a celebration - guests may receive personalized souvenir menus.  

We've had a lot of fun with birthdays in WDW over the years.......

 Disney destinations are full of possibilities to make any celebration memorable and special - either a once in a lifetime no holds barred blow out or a more frequent getaway to embrace the magic and live out your dreams.

To book your magical vacation email me at
Channing@TravelWithTheMagic.com
for a free quote.  
All Travel With the Magic services are free.   
We will gladly assist you with all your vacation planning needs and answer any questions
you may have to ensure a most magical, memorable,
and hassle free vacation.