"In the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Room...in the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Room...."




Thursday, March 31, 2011

No Dogs Allowed....

Time to think about what to do with naughty Miss Penny while we are away.   Disney doesn't have pet friendly hotels like Universal does - but actually I am glad of that.   Too many rascally dogs in one hotel kind of grosses me out.  I love dogs - but I know how Penny is and I can't imagine she's that much different from others of her kind...... well, on second thought maybe she is.   She is a lot different than my previous Newfie....

Our neighbors used to volunteer to have our sweet Tatum over for the duration of our trips.  Not happening with Penny.  I subtly let them know we are planning on being away...... and I am met with silence and then a, "Have a great time!"

How can one fluffy teddy bear dog be so mischievous?  She looks so innocent....




But we know different...... I think she's a diva princess at heart and if we aren't looking at her, talking to her, petting her, walking her, telling her how cute she is, taking her photo, giving her treats, she gets us back for it.   She is an attention seeker and has been since she was a puppy.  She was actually promised to a breeder, but the breeder met her and chose another puppy!!  OMG we should have known what we were in for after that....we could have had her or her brother.  I wanted a sweet little girl puppy..... but I got Penny.  Her naughty ways are well known by our friends.  Maybe we should have kept her habits hush hush.  She is lovable and sweet but so badly behaved.  I guess we had to share her tricks for laughs and our own sanity.  She doesn't have the normal Newfie qualities *calm, sweet, loyal*...she loves to bark, be a pest, moan and squeak to get her way,  she's not a buddy or team player - more a star, and she's bouncy and full of life and energy, and naughty......

I found a fun place for Penny last year for her first boarding experience so looks like this will be where she spends our Disney vacation again this year since volunteers for Penny sitting aren't knocking on our door.  Chasing our Tails is a doggy day care type facility where the dogs are allowed to be free with each other from 9 to 5pm and then they are kenneled overnight til the next day's play time.   This place is pretty local and I appreciate that - when I had Tatum I was driving her an hour away to a similar type of kennel...for twice the price - this other place had a canoe out front, a playground, cute Adirondack furniture for the dogs LOL and even believe it or not, Disney Suites.  Tatum spent a few of our vacations in the Winnie the Pooh Suite.  (my kids love the Pooh characters so they chose that for her lol to help ease the guilt of leaving her behind)   These doggy daycare centers seem to be popping up here and there now as they increase in popularity.   I do feel good about leaving Penny where she can interact with other dogs - maybe get knocked down a few pegs by the older dogs and  learn some better etiquette.   She seemed to enjoy being there, too, and didn't come home miffed at us for leaving her there.  We don't want a pissed Penny......There are horns under that fur....



Disney World does have a newer kennel run by Best Friends Pet Care, but then the issue is getting the dog down there....Who brings their dog on vacation anyway?   I would never consider driving 20 hours with Penny in the car.  She freaks out on a 5 minute drive to her vet.....I can't imagine how she would be in a cargo hold on a flight, either.  Not sure how that works, but it seems mean, too... Penny would be traumatized.  Penny gives me attitude about even being put IN the car...and she's 105lbs of attitude.   Maybe other people have really good dogs?  And good dogs get to go to Walt Disney World.... Penny will never see the castle.
 

 "There's nothing funnier than the human animal."  Walt Disney

Obviously Walt never met Penny.......



Happy travels!!